Updated: Mar 2, 2020
I promised you a blog and podcast to help you create the best vision and version of yourself you can in the new year. I am going to do that with the help of my friend Dr. Seuss, so this bonus blog and episode is going to be chocked full of Dr. Seuss quotes.
Twenty-twenty! It means normal visual clarity but who wants to be normal? Why fit in when you were born to stand out? I have always loved Dr, Seuss. I believe he is an incredible genius. Of course I know he passed in ninety-one, so why do I say he is a genius? Because his wisdom and his enlightenment will live on forever. His words will educate, entertain and inspire people of all ages for as long as we keep them alive by reading and sharing them. I bet, if you read some of his works today, you will be amazed at what you can still learn as an adult.
Let's dig in and go through the steps I believe will steer you in the right direction. I am so excited for you. You're off to great places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way! Planning for your future doesn't have to be some tedious, boring exercise. It is like anything else in life, You have the power to make it whatever you want it to be. I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells. Lets make it fun.
1. Let go. Let go of whatever negative you can. Let go of old grudges and hurts. Let go of past failures, losses and things that didn't work out as planned. It won't serve your vision or the new, improved version of you. Twenty-Nineteen is another year to chalk up to experience. Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. This holds true for anything in your life. Bring the good with you and leave the not so good behind you and move on. You'll move mountains, kid.
2. Believe in yourself. You're on your own and you know what you know and you are the one who'll decide where you'll go. No one can decide for you who you want to be. No one can decide how you want to grow. Whether you are a young person, just starting out or a seasoned, oldish adult or somewhere in between, it's up to you to decide what that should look like and, my friends, it is never too early or too late to change how that looks. Take a good hard look at your life, your character and where you focus all of your energy. How does it look? Is it serving you? Is it serving your purpose? If it's not, it's time to change your focus and do some things differently. Sometimes the questions are complicated but the answers are simple.
3.Get some clarity. Take some time to figure out where it is you want to be. What do you want to accomplish? What does the future you and your future life and job and goals look like? If you don't know where you want to be you can't get there from here.
Cheryl Richardson has a great book for laying out the road map of your life called, Take Time For Your Life. She makes you make lists of what your life should look like. I will attempt to help you get started right now. Get a pen and a piece of paper and put all of the hours in the day on that piece of paper. Now envision your perfect day, What does that look like? What time to do you wake up? Is someone with you? Where are you? What does the house look like? What are you doing to make a living? What are you doing for and with others? You have brains in your head and feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
4. Don't fret. Don't dwell. Even though you have a plan and some goals. Even though you are doing what you want, not everything will be perfect. I'm sorry to say but sadly it's true bang ups and hang ups will happen to you. Some times other people will get in your way and sometimes you will get in your own way. You may make some not so great decisions, or do business with some not so great people. You may just overthink your way into a corner you don't want to be in. It happens. But, you have the power to redirect and move on. The trick is to not dwell on what went awry but what good you can make come from it. And when things start to happen, don't worry and don't stew. Just go right along and you'll start happening too.
5.Be yourself and don't worry about what others think. I believe we all have a purpose. I believe it is a little irritant of sorts that is always there at the back of your mind. Some of us push it away temporarily and then act on it. Some of us squash it down or society knocks it out of us. Some people figure it out early and live out their purpose most of the days of their life. And, of course, others fall somewhere in between.
If you believe there is something you were put on the planet to do, do it. If there is just something you love doing, find a way to make it your job or, at least find a way to be able to do it on a regular basis. Find a way. Make a way.
If you don't know what it is you are supposed to be doing but you know you aren't where you want to be and you aren't happy start figuring it out. Think left and think right and think low and think high. oh the thinks you can think if you only try. If you don't already know, ask the people closest to you, "What am I uniquely good at?" Then start making a way to make that your job, or at least something you can enjoy doing on a regular basis. If you don't you are robbing yourself and the world of your talents, your gifts. Don't worry about what others think. I started a website and a blog and a podcast. I put myself out there for all the world to see. Why? Because I believe I am putting more good into the world at a time the world needs more good. There may be people who think that is silly and people who think I am silly. It doesn't matter. What matters is there may be one person who feels happier or more inspired because of what I do and that one person may help someone else to feel happier and more inspired and that, my friends makes the world just a little brighter. To me, that's what gives me purpose and feeds my purpose. I have a tribe of people who believe in me and love me. Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
6. Do your best. Whatever you do, do it the best way you know how. If you don't know the best way, research it, learn about it, teach others the best way and never settle for doing an okay job at anything. No matter what you are doing, do your best and don't beat yourself up too much or tool long if it doesn't always work out. Wherever you fly you'll be the best. Wherever you go, you will top all the rest, except when you don't because sometimes you won't.
7. Be Kind. Be kind to the wishers who haven't got wishes. Be kind to the fishers who haven't got fishes. Be kind to the beginners who haven't got ends. Be kind to the strangers who haven't who haven't got friends. Be kind to the walkers who haven't a shoe. Be kind to the talkers, who haven't a clue. Be kind to the to the outsiders and insiders too. Be kind to those kept confined in the zoo. Be kind in your mind and in all that you do. I have nothing to add to this quote, except read it several times and let it really soak in.
8. Find your balance. When he worked he really worked. When he played he really played. Work hard and play hard. Make time for what is important to you. Make time for who is important to you. Give of yourself in the right directions. If it is not something that will serve you or your purpose don't spend time on it. If it does not make you feel happy and doesn't feed your soul or help others stop doing it. When you work give it your all. Show up, When you have time off make the most of it doing whatever that means to you. Regenerate. Refocus. Relax.
Step with great care and remember that life is a great balancing act.
9. Celebrate. Celebrate your successes, even if they are small ones. We do this for our children when they are little. "Oh you can do that all by yourself! Wow! Great job" We don't do enough of that for ourselves or others once we reach adulthood. In business or in everyday life celebrate and then move on. Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.
10. Be uniquely you. You have to be odd to be number one. If your desire is to be the best version of yourself you can't possibly try to be like someone else. If you want to do your best at your job, create a successful business or just be more happy, that will not happen while you are pretending to be something you are not.
There you have it, my friends. My words of wisdom, combined with a lot of Dr. Seuss wisdom to help you create the best vision and version of you and your life. You will succeed. Yes you will indeed. It's ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed.
Bonus. Be the best version of yourself every day. Today I shall behave as if this day will be remembered.